SERVES 4 | MAKES 8
100g caster sugar
50g seaweed salt
100ml boiling water
400ml ice-cold water
300g boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 bunch spring onion (scallions)
3 1/2 tbsp Tare Sauce
You will need: 8 stainless steel skewers
A very popular yakitori dish, with spring onion/scallion (negima) and chicken.
- First, make a brine. Place the sugar and salt in a mixing bowl, then pour over the boiling water and mix well.
- Top up the brine with ice-cold water.
- Trim any sinew or loose bits from the chicken. Cut the chicken into 1.5x1.5 cm cubes, add to the brine and leave to cure for 2 hours in the fridge.
- Start the robata grill. Trim and discard the dark green ends of the spring onions (scallions), then rinse in cold water and cut into 2cm pieces. divide the chicken into eight portions.
- Thread the pieces on to the skewers, alternating chicken and spring onion (scallions), starting and finishing with a chicken piece.
- Place the skewers directly over the Bincho coals, resting them on either edge of the robata pit.
- After 2 minutes , spraying intermittently with the sake-mirin spray.
- Brush the chicken with tare sauce.
- Repeat, adding more tare sauce and turning the chicken until slightly charred and crispy, but still juicy.