You can of course place the binchotan charcoal into a very hot fire to light it although we recommend you use our Japanese Charcoal starter pan for your binchotan. It is easy to light and takes the hassle out of getting your coals hot.
- Place a layer of charcoal into your pan.
- Light the gas stove and place pan on top.
- Wait till the coals are red hot (10 minutes)
- Transfer the hot coal into your grill and cover with additional binchotan.
- Wait till all the binchotan is lit before cooking. This allows for the grill to insulate the heat and burn at a consistent temperature. (10/15 minutes)
Another method is to light with a propane/butane mix blowtorch. The Japanese also tend to also use this method. Available at most hardware and cookware stores.
- Fill the grill about halfway with charcoal
- Light blowtorch and wave evenly over charcoal
- Once the charcoal is alight add a few more pieces
- Start cooking
TIP: Before lighting place the binchotan into a hot oven to warm up on a baking or roasting tray. This will speed up the process of lighting it as well as reduce any pockets of trapped air within the binchotan.